MODESTO — Crews with the Modesto Regional Fire Authority put out two grass fires Saturday morning, said Division Chief Sean Slamon.
At 8:30 a.m., firefighters were called to Emerald and Kansas avenues for a blaze that burned a quarter of an acre.
At 9 a.m., fire crews responded to property along the Tuolumne River near Ninth and B streets. About half an acre of vegetation burned there, Slamon said.
On Friday shortly before 6 p.m., a grass fire spread to a shed in the 500 block of Marshall Avenue, destroying it along with half an acre of grass. Damage was estimated at $5,000.
The recent heat wave has left grass very dry, raising the fire danger, Slamon said.
"If anyone is a smoker or has leftover fireworks, they need to be extremely careful," he said. A fire Thursday that damaged two homes and injured two firefighters on Royalton Court in Modesto is being blamed on fireworks left in a trash can, he said.
To be safe, soak used fireworks in water for several days in a metal pail, well away from walls and fences, he said. Firefighters raced to 16 grass fires on the Fourth of July holiday.