MODESTO — With Graffiti Summer in our fuzzy-dice-draped rearview mirror, it's time to look ahead to what the rest of the season has in store across the greater Modesto region. There are plenty of festivals and — of course — good old-fashioned fairs to keep you busy right through Labor Day.
Following are some of the bigger events to pen into your July and August calendar. But before we let June slip completely away, there's one last festival to hit this month and it's the ...
• HILMAR DAIRY FESTIVAL — Saturday: The region's annual bovine blowout returns. The celebration features entertainment, activities, Little Milkman and Milkmaid contest, a car show, exhibits, vendors and fireworks. 9 a.m. Dairy Collectors Show, 5 p.m. festival. Hilmar High football field, 7807 N. Lander Ave., Hilmar. Free. www.hilmarchamber.com
• CENTRAL VALLEY FAMILY FEST — July 4: This Christian-based family festival showcases inspirational speakers, entertainment and music. Noon-8 p.m. Graceada Park, Sycamore and Needham streets, Modesto. (209) 407-2833. www.cvfamilyfest.org
• CORTEZ OBON FESTIVAL — July 6: Japanese-American festival featuring Obon dancing, cultural presentations, music and more. 7 p.m. Cortez Buddhist Church, Cortez Avenue between Linwood and Santa Fe, Ballico-Cortez. (209) 632-7942.
• SIERRA NEVADA ARTS & CRAFTS FESTIVAL — July 6-7: The 41st annual event features more than 65 booths of fine crafts, art and gourmet foods to sample. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. both days. Grounds of Bristols Ranch House Café at 961 Highway 4 in downtown Arnold. Free. (925) 372-8961
• MOTHER LODE FAIR — July 11-14: This year's expo again includes a talent show, along with other county fair events, including a demolition derby. Among the concert performers will be Elvin Bishop, The Little Band and Wingnut Adams. July 11-12, 4 p.m.-midnight, July 13 1 p.m.-midnight, July 14 1 p.m.-11 p.m. 220 Southgate Drive, Sonora. $10 admission; $20 for carnival wristband. www.motherlodefair.org or (209) 532-7428
• STANISLAUS COUNTY FAIR — July 12-21: Annual county fair featuring agriculture exhibits, midway, entertainment, motorsports, rodeo and more. Entertainment includes Huey Lewis & the News, .38 Special, Weird Al Yankovic, Clay Walker, Hinder, Glorianna and more. Monday-Friday, 5 p.m.-midnight; Saturdays and Sundays, noon-midnight. Stanislaus County Fairground, 900 N. Broadway, Turlock. $5-$12 gate admission; some events have an additional cost. (209) 668-1333.
• LATHROP BBQ FESTIVAL — July 20: Music, water slides, dunk tanks, kids activities, food, a car show and more will be featured at this event. 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Valverde Park, 15557 Fifth St., Lathrop. Free.
• BEAR VALLEY MUSIC FESTIVAL — July 26-Aug. 11: 45th event features Asleep at the Wheel, Triple Play, Taylor Eigsti and more presenting a variety of music styles from Mozart to jazz to Bollywood. $10-$75. Bear Valley Village. www. bearvalleymusicfestival. org.
• FIJI FESTIVAL — July 27: Kids games, stage shows, Ferris wheel, food booths, retail booths, a tiki torch lounge and dancing under the stars. 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Central Catholic High School, 200 S. Carpenter Road, Modesto. (209) 495-7031.
• BLUES AND BONES FESTIVAL — July 27: Music festival and barbecue competition. Festivalgoers can purchase food tickets to sample food and vote for their favorite barbecue team. Event features live music by John Lee Hooker Jr., Daniel Castro, Deja Blues and more. Noon-10 p.m. $19.99. Calaveras County Fairgrounds, 101 Frogtown Road, Angels Camp. www.bluesandbones.com.
• TWAIN HARTE SUMMER ART & WINE FESTIVAL — July 27-28: The 36th annual event features more than 100 craft and graphic artists, wine, food and live entertainment from Tom Rigney & Flambeau Cajun Band, Tessie Marie & Poor Man Band and more. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. both days. Downtown Twain Harte Free. (209) 533-3473 or www.fireonthemountain. com.
• X-FEST 2013 — Aug. 3: Huge downtown outdoor music event. 14th annual festival will feature. Puddle of Mudd, Aaron Carter, Y&T, Moonshine Bandits and more. Visit www.xfestmodesto.com for full schedule. Age 21-and-over event. 5 p.m. Downtown Modesto $20 advance.
• MODSTOCK MUSIC FESTIVAL — Aug. 4: Valley Music Institute, event features 26 local bands, food, drink, arts and crafts, demonstrations, bounce house and family activities. 10 a.m. Graceada Park, Sycamore Avenue and Needham street, Modesto. (209) 543-2066.
• MAGIC OF THE NIGHT — Aug. 9: Live music, dancing, antique cars, street entertainment, games and more. Downtown Sonora. 6-9 p.m. Free. www.sonoraca.com or (209) 532-7725.
• SALIDA TOWN AND COUNTRY FESTIVAL — Aug. 24: A day filled with food, crafts, information booths, kids activities, live entertainment and a parade at 10 a.m., festival to follow. Downtown Salida. Free.
• NEWMAN FALL FESTIVAL — Aug. 28-Sept. 2: This annual festival celebrates Newman heritage. The event features Mr. and Miss Newman Pageant, kid's games, car show, carnival, food and craft vendors and more. Pioneer Park, 1250 Tulare St., Newman. (209) 451-2815.
• CEDAR CENTER ARTS & CRAFTS FESTIVAL — Aug. 31-Sept. 1: Annual end-of-summer celebration features 60 booths of fine crafts, art, gourmet foods, beer. Continuous live entertainment: swing music and jugglers; face painting. Pancake breakfast daily from 7:30-11 .m. Festival 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Cedar Center, downtown Arnold. Free. (925) 372-8961