MODESTO — A woman and her two children were displaced from their west Modesto home after a wind-fueled fire Monday morning.
The fire appears to have started accidentally on a mattress in a bedroom in the rear of the home on Spencer Avenue near Maze Boulevard, according to Modesto Regional Fire Authority Battalion Chief Randy Anderson.
When firefighters arrived about 9:45 a.m., the family had evacuated from the home. Heavy smoke and flames could be seen coming from windows in the back of the house.
Wind gusts of up to 40 mph caused the fire to spread quickly into the attic and hampered firefighting efforts, as did downed power lines.
Crews succeeded in preventing the fire from spreading to a home behind it and had it extinguished after about an hour, Anderson said.
The fire caused $150,000 in damage and rendered the house uninhabitable. The American Red Cross Stanislaus County Chapter is assisting the mother and her children, ages 5 and 13, with housing, food and clothing.
Five engines, a truck company and a battalion chief responded to the fire, Anderson said.