Elderly woman rescued from Modesto house fire

local@modbee.comApril 2, 2013 

— Family members rescued a senior citizen from a burning room Monday afternoon in central Modesto, authorities said.

Firefighters were called to a home in the 1500 block of Sheldon Drive on a report of a bedroom fire in the home a few blocks northeast of West Rumble and Tully roads, according to Battalion Chief Hugo Patino of the Modesto Regional Fire Authority. When they arrived, they discovered family members had safely pulled the woman from the home. Two dogs and two rabbits were rescued.

The fire, which was extinguished in about 10 minutes, was caused when a candle ignited a curtain, Patino said.

Damage was estimated at $15,000 to the home and $10,000 to the contents. Along with suffering smoke damage, the home's electricity had to be shut off.

The American Red Cross Stanislaus County Chapter assisted the five residents with housing.

Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service