"Unattended smoking material" caused a fire that started outside, then spread to a house in Salida early Sunday, firefighters said. Modesto Regional Fire Authority Battalion Chief Hugo Patino said the 2 a.m. fire started outside the home, then spread to the attic.
It took 40 minutes to control; firefighters spent an additional 2½ hours mopping up. Nobody was injured, but a woman and two boys living in the house were displaced.
The fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to the house and $25,000 to its contents, Patino said.