Probe of shootings continues

4 hurt in 7 incidents in Turlock, Ceres, Modesto; 1 dead

May 6, 2009 

TURLOCK — Detectives on Wednesday continued to investigate a Saturday night shooting on Eagleglen Avenue that seriously injured a 34-year-old man, police said.

The shooting now makes it five people injured in seven shootings in five hours from late Saturday to early Sunday in Turlock, Modesto and Ceres, authorities said.

One of the five people died from his injuries Wednesday night.

No arrests have been made in the three shootings that resulted in injuries, authorities said Wednesday.

The man in the Turlock shooting was shot in the chest and remained in serious condition at a hospital Wednesday afternoon, said Turlock police Lt. Carl Nielsen.

Police did not release the victim's name to ensure his safety, and detectives were trying to determine his city of residence.

Nielsen said the victim underwent emergency surgery, and his injuries are now considered nonlife-threatening. He said detectives hope to speak to the victim soon.

"We don't know a whole lot about it right now," Nielsen said. "We've been getting the runaround from the people we've talked to."

The shooting occurred about 11:40 p.m. in the 200 block of Eagleglen Avenue, a few blocks east of Lander Avenue and south of East Linwood Avenue in Turlock.

Residents heard shots fired, and officers responded. As the officers began to investigate, staff at Emanuel Medical Center notified police a man went to the hospital with gunshot wound in the chest.

Nielsen said Wednesday it was unclear to detectives where exactly the shooting occurred. He said detectives have spoken to the person who took the victim to the Turlock hospital.

The shooting did not appear to be related to gangs or drugs, Nielsen said.

Two teens shot

Earlier that same night, a 13-year-old boy and a 16-year-old boy were shot about 11:30 p.m. while they were riding in a white four-door vehicle near Vicksburg Street and Rouse Avenue in west Modesto.

Modesto police spokesman Sgt. Brian Findlen said Wednesday the 13-year-old remained in critical condition. The 16-year-old's condition was not available Wednesday, and his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, Findlen said.

Stanislaus County sheriff's deputies responded to a shooting that occurred about 1:30 a.m. Sunday behind the Seventh Street auction yard at Pecos Avenue and Main Street just south of Modesto. The deputies found two Modesto men injured: a 21-year-old and a 24-year-old, said sheriff's spokesman deputy Royjindar Singh.

The 21-year-old has been released from the hospital. Singh said Wednesday night the 24-year-old died at a Modesto hospital. Detectives believe the shooting was gang-related.

No arrests in Ceres

In Ceres, police said three shootings occurred within three hours and a few blocks from each other early Sunday. No one was injured in the shootings, and no arrests had been made Wednesday.

About 3 a.m. Sunday, Modesto police also responded to a large fight with shots fired at Rouse and Sutter avenues in Modesto. Two people were arrested, and no injuries were reported.

Authorities ask anyone with information about the shootings to call Crime Stoppers at 521-4636. Callers can remain anonymous and are eligible for a cash reward.

Bee staff writer Rosalio Ahumada can be reached at rahumada@modbee.com or 578-2394.

Modesto Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service